Sunday, October 15, 2006

 
Welcome everyone to my blog! I am sure some of you are wondering why Joanne Farmer has a blog, and I am sure more of you are wondering how in the world Joanne Farmer figured out how to start a blog. Well, big ideas require desperate measures sometimes, and I am working on one heck of a big idea!!

As many of you know, I ran the DisneyWorld Marathon in January 2003 as a member of the Arthritis Society's Joints in Motion Training Team. As for many participants, this really was a life changing experience for me, and when I returned from Florida I found myself dreaming of someday climbing a mountain. I did some preliminary research to see if any charitable organizations offered such opportunities in a fundraising program, but the only ones I could find at that time existed in Europe. I put my dream on hold, but I never forgot it.

Now, fast forward three and a half years, to October 2006. The Saskatchewan Branch of the Arthritis Society has announced its Joints in Motion destinations for the upcoming year and included among them is a 4 day trek to Machu Picchu in Peru. Not quite a mountain climb, but it is a 43 kilometre trek through a mountainous region which winds past carved granite Inca settlements, and is surrounded by breathtaking natural beauty. For me, it sounds like a dream come true.

Then I look at the fundraising goal for this unbelievable experience - $6900!! I am overwhelmed by a sense of fear and trepidation! How can I possibly fundraise that much money in 8 months I ask myself. I begin to convince myself that it is an impossible task.

Then I share my dream with my oldest son Joel who is a very wise almost 19 year old. His eyes begin to shine that wonderful shine I have come to know in the past 18 years as soon as I begin to tell him about the trek. When I finish my description he says with incredible enthusiasm and confidence, "You have to do that Mom!" and he offers to help with the fundraising whenever he can. Suddenly an impossible task seems entirely possible, and I am overwhelmed not by fear, but by my love and pride for both my sons, who I know will support me wholeheartedly in this venture. Joel's enthusiasm is infectious and I want to hang on to that enthusiasm, much as a drowning person clutches on to a life preserver. And I am reminded of one of my favorite running quotes - one that eloquently describes the experience of running a marathon. It ends with "and you realize the person you thought you were is no match for the person you really are."

I am planning to phone Cindy Kobayashi at the Arthritis Society office
tomorrow morning and make my commitment to do the Machu Picchu trek. My guts are churning, but I know that this may be a once in a lifetime opportunity, and if I miss it I will regret it for the rest of my life. I also know I am blessed with a wonderful loving family and partner, and the most incredible collection of friends that anyone could ever hope for. And I remind myself that the money I raise is going to an incredibly important cause - better treatment and care for the 148 000 people in Saskatchewan living with arthritis, as well as research for the causes and cures for arthritis.

I am now going to bite the bullet and publish this post. With the quick click of a mouse I will "seal my fate" and the fun will begin (right after I finish throwing up in the bathroom!) Here I go..........one.....two......three.......

Comments:
Joanne, How wonderful! I am on the Joints in Motion Team hiking the Hawaii rainforest this year. The Peru trip sounds fantastic! $6900 is not that bad, really. I raised $5200 for Hawaii in just over three months, with the support of my wonderful family and friends.

Good luck! You can totally do this!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?